Saturday, March 17, 2007

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

In Mexico, no meal is complete with out Chili Peppers. We have adapted and
have a selection on hand for all occasions. A tour of the Lake Chapala Hot
Sauce factory is a good starting place leading up to the 29 Annual Chili
Cook-off in Ajijic. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the
factory and everything about it. We were also in for a pleasant surprise.

HOT SAUCE STARTS WITH PEPPERS
Hot Sauce starts with the actual growing of the Chili Peppers. This company purchases their peppers from large area growers. This fine, rich, black, volcanic soil is just what the Chili pepper loves.

The Company buys tons of peppers which comes in these feed sacks and are stored in special climate
controlled warehouses, so they are insured to have a year round supply.

The process starts in this Grinding and formula room. The chilies are first pulverized then mixed with exacting amounts of ingredients for various products that they make. The aromas in this room was quite overwhelming and induced coughing, I don't know how the workers stand it, unless they are just used to it. It is also cooked in the big vats and then pumped to the bottling room.

Here is a sampling of the various products that is produced here. At home
our favorite Hot Sauce is of coarse Barbie's Hollerin Hot Sauce, but running
a second place is Chalula, which is seen here in the Quality Control Room,
in various sizes. Chalula has been a "second place" favorite for many
years and what a pleasant surprise to find that it is produced right here in
Chapala.

Sanitation is a main issue here. We had to have hair nets, plastic
booties, lab coats and sanitize our hands. I asked for a net for my beard
and it drew much laughter. I think that we were the first Gringos to ever
visit the plant.

The sauce goes into the sterilized bottles hot, the caps applied, shrink
warped and finally the labels applied then stacked in cases.




The 29 Annual, Great, Ajijic, Chili Cook off, To our surprise this is a total Gringo thing. As I had explained earlier, this whole lake side community is one of the biggest Ex-patriot communities in the world.
Consisting of mostly US and Canadian's, I have heard the number of 30,000 and growing, used often.


So yes, a bit surprised and a little disappointed, but why not, actually, gringos can make some kick ass, Chili con Carne.
This is actually a fund raiser and they do a lot of good things for the community with the funds that they raise. Lots of top quality entertainment, arts and crafts, food and of coarse Chili of every description.
A total of nine contestants and 9 totally different chilies. When I think of Chili con Carne, I immediately think of my mothers Chili which is deeply implanted in my brain, the rest of the offerings is just Chili by name.
Mom, what are you doing here?
One of the contestants came close but did not win. He whispered to me that he adds Tequila and Beer. I remember that my mother used beer, that could be the key.

Now what would a Chili Cook off be with out a cold beer served up by such a charming Senorita as this. Hell, even if you didn't drink, you would have to accept one, offered with such warmth, beauty and grace.

This triditional Mexica dance was a true colorful treat to that hot Mexican Beat.

Elegance Plus, This well trained group of dancers blew me away. They started by pouring a glass of what appeared to be milk, placed it on their head, ccompleted this elegant dance and poured the milk back into a
container. "No crying over spilled milk here."

Some high quality art and craft and unbelievable low prices, kept me wrenching of how I could get all the things that I fell in love with, home in one piece. I guess that I will have to be satisfied with this wonderful camera that my thoughtful son Mickael lovingly supplied me with. Digital
is the only way to go. Thanks Mick!







This amazing group of paintings was produced by this artist, Not sure of his name, I think that it is Jose Jrraplago. We are going to a art show this Saturday, and I will get his name and contact information right. It is not often that a painter captures my attention like his work did.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home